Thursday, September 10, 2009

Humanism for the Individual

They told me to be a light in the darkness. They did not tell me to drag people kicking and screaming out of the darkness.

(I know, I know - you want the Erich Fromm-y goodness. It's cooking, I promise. But I need to clear something up first.)

If there's a foundation stone to my set of beliefs, it's individual responsibility. My feelings on individual responsibility could be a set of essays unto itself, but I bring it up now because it's critical to understanding what I said earlier. What I said earlier was, admittedly, phrased badly, as is wont to happen when one doesn't calm down before one writes something.

My objection to humanism being confounded with atheism and rabid skepticism was not born out of my feelings for those ideas, but rather of the images of the behavior that they conjure up. Those behaviors are things that I've witnessed, and at some level I know that they don't represent the behavior of all people who hold those beliefs. Nonetheless, they left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak, when it comes to the ideas that were behind the behaviors.

At the heart of this is the idea that we need to 'save' people from bad ideas. We are justified in doing whatever it takes to 'save' them because we are right and they are wrong. We are fighting the good fight and they wallow in ignorance and will thank us someday. Even if they don't, we are fighting to make the world a better place for the future and the future will thank us. No one ever says 'Hey, I'm feeling cranky today and I'm gonna blow steam by picking on/mocking some (fill in group name). It's okay because I'm right.' The ideas behind these behaviors change, but the behaviors are always the same.

This way madness lies.

Core to the notion of individual responsibility is not only the idea that I take responsibility for my actions, but also that I don't take responsibility for your actions. I don't try to 'save' you, save that I might devote my life to creating something that can educate others. But I do that because of what I believe in, not because I think that I must assume responsibility for you, or that my voice is worth more than yours. (Here the idea of 'individual responsibility' meets the idea of 'equality'. And while no one will overtly say that they don't believe that all men are equal, they will frequently demonstrate that, by virtue of their education or social standing, they really think that they do know more and are therefore better in some critical way that allows them treat others as inferior.)

What I said was not about the ideas behind atheism or skepticism, although you wouldn't know it from what I actually said. :) It was about behavior, and the idea that we have to 'save' people from bad ideas by using whatever tactics we can.

Curiosity usually wins out in the end with me, and because I would like not to have such a visceral reaction to the words 'atheism' and 'skepticism', I'm going to try to engage those ideas in my own way - starting with finally reading The God Delusion, as I understand that Dawkins is the godfather (so to speak) of modern atheism. Who knows what I'll think after I've read that book. I probably won't talk about it here, because I don't think that the power of humanism is the result of rejecting the idea of a God, but rather of embracing the fact that we are all human, and we are all here now, and if we won't help ourselves, a deity probably shouldn't think enough of us to care either.

No comments:

Post a Comment